Monday, January 17, 2011

Grace

This past June, when T went to visit her grandparents for a part of the summer, I decided to take the opportunity to get back in the gym and really improve my overall health.  Before she left, I was feeling sorry for myself, overloaded with the responsibilities of being a parent to a preteen, and never seeming to have enough time to do the things I wanted.  The dogs and I would walk regularly, but with 2 very active, well-muscled and athletic dogs, I was forever lagging behind.  As good as my girls are, they would simply revel in the joy that is the walk, never really bothered by that lumbering human at the other end of the leash.  Although I'm sure I got the equivalent of doggie "eye rolls" a time or two.  



This past summer was a turning point for me. I started hitting the gym 4 to 5 times a week, generally after work.  Almost immediately, I noticed the change in my attitude and overall mood.  My energy levels increased, and paired with this positive new outlook, I faced the challenges that came at me with a new found passion.  Walking the dogs took on a faster pace, and the girls, in turn, were even more joyful.  I started slowly working my way up to strengthen the 'ol cardiac muscle.  As time wore on, I could increase my resistance and the time I spent on each machine.  I've recently moved from stationary weight lifting to lifting free weights.  The gym is divided into stationary weights and cardio machines on the upstairs floor and the heavy lifting "Big Boy" area downstairs.  I feel like one of the "Big Boys" now, even sporting lifting gloves like the more advanced weight-lifters.  I was definitely intimidated to go downstairs, but finally got the nerve up with some friends.  I'm loving every minute of it!  Each time I meet my lifting goals, (paired with the physical inability to put the keys in the ignition to go home) I know I'm getting stronger and more fit!    

Aside from being tired of being a lumpy pile of inert goo, I was inspired by Arwen and Nyxie.  Their muscular bodies are in a constant state of readiness. What really blows my mind, is that dogs don't need to "work out" to be strong and sinewy.  Their enthusiasm for a simple act like hopping onto the couch is unmatched.  They're the very definition of grace and power, all wrapped in soft, fluffy fur.  I've seen the girls hop over one another from a parallel standing position.  Do you have any idea what it would take for us to be able to do that to another human?!  There's just no comparison.  We are outmatched.  At least we have our thumbs.

 

12 comments:

  1. Dogs amaze me too! The more I run and train agility with them, the more I marvel at how amazing their bodies and brains are. And, the more I realize, I'm the weak link in the equation, LOL. But, I feel inspired too by them, but not just their atheleticism, but also their perpetual joyful, sunny attitudes! Dogs rock! Thanks for the reminder!

    Jen and the Black Dog Crew

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are both cool doggies
    Snuggles,
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your accomplishments!!! Mom would love to do more at the gym, but the doctor puts too many limits on what she can do with her fragile bones:( We love to run like that too - one of the good things about being a dog.

    Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

    ReplyDelete
  4. Khongrats!

    I'm sure it brings a special smile each day!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wishes dat we (and our Mom) would have dat kind of energy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations and it is only the first month of the year! I bet in a few months you will be doing pull ups like Sarah Connor in T2. It is so nice to know there is someone out there as crazy about dogs as I am. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pups are pretty amazing, aren't we?:)

    Love,
    Teddy Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had us at "At least we have our thumbs!" hahah... glad to have come across you blog and we couldn't agree more that dogs (and all living things) never cease to amaze!

    -Carrie and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations!!!
    Dogs are really amazing and they keep on inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved your post! Agree that dogs are special!! They give us so much and ask for so little. We are also dog crazy and have learned MUCH from the furiends we have had over the years. They don't carry the baggage we sometimes do. Congratulations on all the good hard work. Enjoyed the video of the pups running - so happy.Thanks for visiting us!!

    Barb -Ernie,Sasha,Chica's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats! I need to get inspired by you and get back in the gym myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. None of us, except Khady, have any energy cuz we're all couch potatos. I kinda like that!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!