Sunday, November 13, 2011

Today Was a Good Day



Years ago, relaxing wasn't something I had to work on.  It came naturally, as effortlessly as breathing.  I could kick back on the phone with a friend for hours without needing to juggle laundry and bills with the other hand.  I could read a book without checking the clock.  I could sit in silence in a waiting room without checking Facebook updates.  I could dance and sing like a banshee, and to hell with anyone else.  I could hug my friends easily and laugh so hard my sides would ache.  Since then, I've moshed and fought, found myself on the razor's edge of danger, and lost friends and family to death and distance.  And over time, through these tragedies great and small, I thought I'd lost the ability to be carefree.


Then there are moments when I look around only to find myself isolated in a room full of people, when I feel less than what and who I am, when I let the waves of negativity rush over my head.  In these gasping moments, I turn inward and focus on my strengths.  That I've had struggles and have come through stronger.  I'm a tough, Irish-Peruvian, ass-kicking woman that's at peace with her life.  I've become a woman my father would be proud of.  I'm proud of myself.


Do I wish I had more money, more beauty...just more?  Sure, I do.  But then again, I realize I don't need more when I have a day like today.  Today I laughed with my family.  We laughed so hard we cried!  We danced and sang, hugged and talked.  We snuggled with our dogs.  We spent the day just being together.  I looked around at my apartment, full of dogs, geekery and the people that mean the world to me, and realized how at peace I am.


So what does all this have to do with dogs, gentle readers?  I'll tell you.

Dogs don't have these misgivings, hidden anxieties and self-doubts.  They have short lives and don't hide a damn thing.  They live with utter simplicity and clarity.  They live easily, the way humans should live.  Their tragedies and losses make them sage and dignified.  Wise, really.

Today was a good day.  And now I'm going to snuggle into bed with my dogs and NOT fold a single stitch of laundry.





15 comments:

  1. Great post!

    My mom kept on nodding her head as you've said something truly deep into her heart.

    We dogs are born therapists for human beings!

    Have a great week ahead!

    Licks,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this post! If only it were so easy to take that lesson to heart every day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relaxing is a very imporant part of life

    Stop on by for a visit
    Kari
    http://dogisgodinreverse.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice and thoughtful post
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is good to have these moments when we realize how much we truly have to be thankful for. A great pre-Thanksgiving, pre-holiday rush reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't relax much any more but I never get anything done either!!
    Have you seen my new dog?? Do come!!
    xx, Zoie & Fern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifully said. Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaaaaawooooooooo! White Dog Amry cheers for you and your amazing day of reconnection! We wish you many many many more of them for they are the reason to be.

    We have the luxury of training momma each and every day since she is at home with us. She has learned it is ok to walk away from the computer to play tug of war with YoYoMa or to hold Puff in her lap while she works. Everyday momma and I take time to cuddle together and read...it has done her a world of good. Tonight we enticed her to just sit with us and watch sunset...and to sing to us...she doesn't have an Eskie voice but we find it comforting and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post! Yes! Yes! Yes! to it all! There are so many lessons we can learn from our dogs if we just take the time to look, listen, and learn. Bravo to you for seizing the day and realizing the treasures you have! A fabulous message for all! Love the pic of your and Arwen. Beautiful! And that last photo with the tongue out, saying, "I'm relaxing...pbbsssttt on laundry and things to do!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. you are a great writer! ...YES! dogs have power. and i wish humans were more like them...and skip the crap :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi!! I'm just stopping by to say hello! Helloooo! Hope you're doing well! :)

    Woofs & hugs! <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a pawesome post!

    We are woefully behind in visiting - and not khommenting on all but khouldn't pass up this one!

    Hugz&Khysses,
    Khyra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dogs are Zen masters. You brought tears to my eyes with this thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!