Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I See You, Fenway


The clinic where I work has a kennel and a doggie-daycare.  On Tuesdays, which is my longest day (12 hours), I bring Fenway to work with me.  He loves to go to school to "play with the other kids".  He knows when I'm getting ready for work and follows me around like a lost kitten, rubbing up against my legs and not letting me out of his sight!

There are certain other "kids" he likes to play with, and they're the Tuesday regulars.  I watch him proudly through the viewing window as I work, a few moments stolen in quiet watchfulness.  He's generally pretty well-behaved, but sometimes goes overboard with the humping and the rough play - he is a teenage boy, after all.  He comes from the school of hard knocks - a doggie version of South Boston!  Having 2 older sisters is no joke!

"Mom?  Is that you out there?"
As I watch him through the window, I see him running and playing.  I feel like a mom watching her kid on the playground.  I watch him stumble and get corrected.  I watch him run and jump with glee!  I watch him sort out his relationships with other dogs, all on his own.  Then he sees me through the window and I hear him squeal with recognition, and crane his neck to see inside.  It's then that I realize he has my heart.  No more a homeless little foundling, but a loved dog.  A dog with a home.  A dog in Arwen's Pack.

Home is where you can snooze on your back in the sunbeams




15 comments:

  1. What a great post, love the last pic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arwen's Pack is certainly one very lucky pack!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he has found a wonderful pack. Our daycare provider had to retire for health reasons and the dogs miss it so much. They were only going once a week, but they loved the interaction. I'm glad he has found a safe and healthy place to play where Mama can keep an eye on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that he looks for you! He's a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most excellent post!

    RA, Isis & Nanuk

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great that you can watch him play with the others!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fenway is a handsome boy! I know you are very proud of him!

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it!!!

    Love,
    Teddy Bear & Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  9. aahhh what a touching post!
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this post! Such a proud parent! That last pic of Fenway is so darling...I can feel all the love from here!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So, so sweeeet! :)

    Have a wonderful weekend! :)

    Woofs & hugs, <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And you make us believe with just this post the adage about maybe not being able to save EVERY dog, but certainly be able to totally change the life of ONE dog! the world seems SO good knowing Fenway and your family found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fenway that is so cool that you get to go to work with your Mom sometimes. What a great place for you to hang out! You are one lucky dawg pal to have a Mom that luvs ya so much! :D

    Waggin at ya,
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Wednesday woofs & hugs! <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awwww... that is so sweet! Got me a little choked up, if you want to know the truth. Love that last photo of him. I can see why he has your heart.

    Fenway. The Boston connection just occurred to me!

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!