Sunday, June 6, 2010

Intruder?


Summer's here and I'm officially on vacation!! After a long progression of workweeks strung together like a prison sentence, my time's been served! Well, more like I'm on probation. Regardless, I finally have some time away from work. And my first day away was spent poolside. The Africa-hot heat and the scorching sun felt like Crematoria. (Any of you Chronicles of Riddick nerds know exactly what I'm referring to...I know you're out there) The only relief was the pool.

Ahhh, yes, the pool. Living in an apartment, it can be a real crapshoot. Who will be there? The aging hippies with their Pink Floyd and Keystone beer cans? Or the family made up of 35 kids under 7 and one eighteen year old sister? Or maybe the couple looking for a little privacy? You never know what you're going to find. Yesterday it was just a couple of sets of adults, doing their own thing peacefully. No kids, no obnoxiousness. So we played with a beach ball and I tossed sinking rings for mini-Matt to find. Mellow.

By the time we headed back home, we were tired and moving slowly. The heat having sapped our energy. I walked into my bedroom to a growling Nyxie. She barked twice until I hushed her and she realized who I was. Letting her out of her crate led to a full round of sniffing.

"Your smell! It's DIFFERENT!!" WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!"

Imagine experiencing the world through scent.

"Looks like her. Acts like her. Definitely doesn't smell right. I should bark!"

And with all our advances in technology, we've just recently identified that dogs can use their noses to do such amazing things like sniff out bedbugs and cancer. CANCER! What lucky schleps we are to be befriended by these amazing creatures. Have you sniffed your dog today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!