Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nyxie's "It"

"You're going to WHAT?!"


"You're going to stab Nyxie in the chest?!"

This was what Matt asked me on Friday when I told him I needed a cytology of the growth on her chest.  I originally blogged about "It" in "Nyxie's Great Adventure".  She's had "It" on the deepest part of her sternum since she was just past puppyhood.  "It" has grown over time and has elongated, looking a bit like a large, flat, dog nipple.  Kinda gross, really.  So at her yearly visit, I asked if we should remove "It".  This was when we discovered her heart murmur that I obsessively worked up to reveal that she has...well, a heart murmur.  (Sometimes seeing heart disease in everyone else's dogs everyday, prepares me to expect the worst.  Which is exactly what I did.  Me worry?  Simply unheard of!) 

Having passed the initial heart concerns, I was finally able to focus back on this growth, bump, thing, on her chest.  
~~Let me first go on record to say that any growth, bump, thing, should be examined as soon as possible by a vet.  The sooner something is caught, the safer the resolution of that something~~ 
So I took everything I needed home with me to do a proper cytology of "It" and asked Matt for my help.  And now you're all caught up:

"I'm only poking "It" with a needle for some cells, not stabbing her!  When you put it like that, it sounds awful!" 

So he fed her treats and I indeed stabbed "It" with a needle, gathered some cells on a microscope slide and saved my sample for the next day.  Nyxie never even flinched!  I waited until Saturday so if there was something ugly on that slide, I'd have a day off to digest the news.  The doctor set it on the microscope and searched for an eternity a few minutes.  

"Nothing unusual - nothing that would cause concern."  

So Nyxie's "It" is a callous.  I feel a bit silly, but so very relieved.  She got a few extra cookies this weekend, just because.   And the "It" will remain with us, now free of suspicion and stabbing. 


My pretty girl


13 comments:

  1. Why would you ever feel silly? You did exactly the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are so happy to hear that it was nothing to cause concern. What a relief!

    Nina, Myshka, Sasha, Betsy, Lucy, Phoebe and Lily

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so glad it's just a callous.:)

    Love,
    Teddy Bear & Sierra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! We agree you did the right thing
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best to find out what IT is. Glad IT was harmless. And oh yes, we must say, Nyxie is beautiful.

    Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad Nyxie is just fine. It is scary when you find something odd attached to your furbaby! Nuka has over a dozen of those on her body and when we first adopted her, everytime I petted her I worried anew. Bump or no, your girl is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew, glad Nyxie is okay! So you're a vet, or a vet tech? I didn't realize that! It's interesting to see that veterinary folks worry obsessively about such things just like the rest of us do. I never feel bad about being that way though - it has helped catch a few things that would otherwise have been overlooked until too late!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad to hear it was nothing to worry about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well that is fabulous news. I have to admit, my blood ran cold with your opening sentence. Maybe you'll grow to cherish "It", kind of like Chandler's third nipple on Friends?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, poor baby! But so glad there's nothing to worry about! :)

    Woofs & hugs, <3

    ~Bailey (Yep, I'm a girl!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Y'all,

    Guess it is just human nature for you to obsessively worry about the smallest things.

    I'm so happy y'all can stop worrying!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a relief! So glad to hear that IT was harmless. How handy that you can perform these procedures on your own. I'm impressed! And it's not at all silly that you were concerned.

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!