Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Gun Show - Soul Food Continued


Last Sunday, we went to a gun show.  Never fear, gentle readers, you didn't miss my "enormous" biceps...this was an actual firearms show.  There were both handguns and rifles on display and for sale, a real weapons extravaganza!  Two days later we decided to try our hand at shooting and went to a local firing range (this is Texas, so there are plenty to choose from).  We rented 4 different handguns and went through a couple of ammo boxes.  It's an extraordinary feeling to hold something with so much power in your hand and realize you're in control.  I remember feeling the same way when I slid into the driver's seat of my parents' car for the first time so many years ago.


I think what impressed me the most was the explosive power of firing a gun.  I was also struck by the ease with which I was allowed to hold and use said guns,  Oops - I forgot I was in Texas...We drove to a clean, organized, family operated shooting range, The Bullet Trap, Inc., which I highly recommend.  We spoke with a courteous young man that asked us to read through a rental agreement, held our driver's licenses and helped us pick out 2 different 9mm handguns.  He slid 2 cases, 2 boxes of ammo and 2 handguns - a Beretta and a Springfield - across the counter, assigned us to go to lane #11 and told us to have fun.  And with that, I looked at him, mouth agape, wondering how I was now holding a gun in my inexperienced little hands.  The same hands with the muscle memory to sooth, comfort, and heal were now holding the cold steel of a firearm.  Sobering. And exciting.

I imagined I looked like Kate Beckinsale in Underworld... 

But this was probably what I actually looked like.
Matt and I have been together for 11 years this month.  There isn't much we haven't experienced together.  Since we've never shot guns together before, and it was my first time (not his) doing so, it was very exciting.  We topped off our afternoon with a late lunch from In and Out Burger - a highly coveted burger chain from California that's finally reached Dallas, highly anticipated in a city that LOVES its less than healthy food.  If you ever get the chance to have a burger from In and Out, order the Double Double Animal Style.  You'll track me down and thank me.  I don't know if it was the outrageously dangerous experience we'd just had, or what, but my senses were on overload and that burger was illegally delicious.  

Mmmmmm!

So a new experience, a new interest found, and a decadent treat - more soul food for my vacation week.  But what of the pups? I reserved the next vacation day for them...

Where are they?!  I bet they're shooting stuff and having burgers....



4 comments:

  1. In and Out's double double animal style IS the best...as for the rest, you're scaring us a little!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got my gun license a year ago, but have still not managed to get a gun and join a club. Sigh. It is a great skill to have.

    Mango Momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is really great. The information here will surely be of some help to me. Thanks!. Diamondback rifles for sale

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to be visiting your blog once more, it has been months for me. Well this article that ive been waited for therefore long. i want this article to finish my assignment within the faculty, and it has same topic together with your article. Thanks, nice share. 9mm rifles for sale

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!