Thursday, December 1, 2011

Feeding My Soul Week Starts With Football



I've been on vacation, a long-overdue break.  It's been over a year since my last one, and I was in desperate need of some soul galvanization.  When the days start to rush together and you start forgetting what happened on what day, you start to feel disconnected, empty even.  I'll admit, I was limping towards this time off from work.  Although I work at something I love, and take pride in, the hours are very long and there aren't a ton of external rewards.  Caring for a patient, nursing them back to health so they can eventually go home to their loving families is my primary reward.  Rarely do I hear "great job", or have financial rewards given to me.  Then there's the stress of when things go wrong and a patient doesn't get well.  These things can be trying.

Poor Fenway's first days of quarantine at the clinic

So finding that internal, self-guided reward has been a goal of mine as of late.  It's that old "work hard for the peace of mind that you've done your job well".  This incentive requires self-motivation and confidence, both of which tend to be in short supply when you work 12 hour shifts and barely see your family.  Needless to say, I'm glad for my break.

Tweaked!!

So what have I done to feed my soul this week?  There's been plenty going on, so I'll start with Thanksgiving itself...

Matt was given tickets to the Cowboys game on Thanksgiving which was an experience for sure.  As a Redskins fan, having been born and raised in DC, I was feeling a bit Benedict Arnold being at Cowboys Stadium.  But I got over that pretty fast, seeing what an enormous architectural megastructure it was.  A fun time was had by all, and the game was close and exciting!

Cowboys Stadium - the old stadium can fit inside this one 8 times!!

I've never seen so many men holding camera phones in my life!

These guys were ready to party the old school way

Uh oh.  Flag on the play

Halftime show with Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull

The real reason for Thanksgiving

Please remember it's not too late to send some holiday cheer to Military Working Dogs and their Handlers.  If you're interested in sending a care package, please see my post here.  











4 comments:

  1. That looked like a great family day out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one gianormous stadium! The photo and caption of "so many men holding digital cameras" made me laugh out loud. Glad you're enjoying your vacation! The military K9 project sounds great. I've got my projects already for this year, but I hope you get lots of responses. I'm going to keep that in the mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like the perfect time to step back and recharge a bit. Family adventures, time for "you," and cuddling with the pack are just what you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My college boyfriend was from Dallas. His family had a box at the old Texas Stadium. The first game I attended there, we were walking thru the concourse and heard this swishing noise. We turned around to see the cheerleaders walking like a little big-haired army swishing those poms poms. I thought he was gonna pass out. He said, "take a picture!" Sadly, ;-) I'd left the camera in the box...

    Mamma Heartbeat

    ReplyDelete

The girls and I love to hear from you - please leave us a note!