|All this will eventually smoosh into boxes...|
Through other care package websites, we found out that para-cord bracelets are popular with soldiers. They're wristbands made of braided para-cord that the guys can unweave if they want to make use of the sturdy rope. Matt and T made a ton of them to send, weaving well into the wee hours of Saturday morning.
|para-cord bracelets (sorry about the blurriness)|
And I'm not done yet - I don't think thoughtfulness has to be a once yearly event. Here is my last post with the correct addresses. I've asked the soldiers if they have any requests or if they care to share their thoughts with us. I'll let you know if I get any responses.
When Dorothy of FiveSibes tried mailing her care package and was told the APO address was wrong, my heart sank. I felt like I'd had the wind knocked out of me. Words can't describe the feeling of dread I experienced. Here I was, sending people out to mail packages to a nonexistent address! I felt like a scam artist and a fool. Luckily I got all the correct addresses fast and I my heart resumed beating, oxygen finally able to get through again.
What I learned from doing care packages:
1) Start earlier - organizing anything takes time.
2) Triple check addresses - duh!
3) Expect the best to shine in people - you never know what will touch someone to open their hearts.
4) There's magic in connecting with others for a good cause - new friends are a gift!
5) Doing something you believe in takes perseverance but pays off in unexpected and delightful ways.
6) If you want to ask a teen to contribute of themselves, show them why it's meaningful (I'm so thankful for YouTube military working dog tribute videos!)
7) And finally, it's best to keep big, overflowing boxes of treats and new toys on a top shelf - we had 3 snooters working overtime to provide K9 care package quality control.
Arwen's Pack sends enormous hugs and positive thoughts to our soldiers in all those dangerous places so far from home. We hope those amazing dogs will help keep you safe until you're home with your family and friends. Merry Christmas!
|"We'll be in a Sit / Stay until you get home!". Here's Fenway in his Red Sox starter jacket :)|